In our daily Scripture readings, we've been reading in Exodus about God's instructions for preparing the Tabernacle and also in Matthew about being ready, like the story of the ten virgins. In Exodus 27:20-21, God commands Israel to bring oil to keep the lampstand that stands just outside the Holy of Holies continually burning in the presence of the Lord. In Matthew 25:1-13, Jesus tells the story of the five girls who were prepared with enough oil to keep their lamps burning awaiting the bridegroom and the five girls who weren't prepared. It's the same deal! I am called to be continually vigilant in keeping the light burning, not letting it go out. I must consciously stay in the presence of the Lord to intentionally keep the light burning, and that light is what will combat the darkness, the hopelessness, the lies of the enemy that maybe this time God's grace is not sufficient.
I tend to compartmentalize God away from the different parts of my life, and I have to be watchful to keep His light (the truth of His word and the Holy Spirit) ever right before my face and in my line of sight as I walk through every moment of my day. Only this way can I be ready when he directs me to do whatever it is he has planned for me in every situation. Only this way can I be a gatekeeper for my thoughts and catch the lies right at the outset with the truth in front of my eyes. Only this way can the darkness that threatens my faith with doubt be exposed by the light. The Life-Light blazed out of the darkness; the darkness couldn't put it out (John 1:5, The Message).
Another thought: Right now I often feel a lot like I am walking a dark path, and all I have is a small light that only shows me the next step for my feet to take. But that light that I have is the light of the Lord, and even as I carry the lamp that shines unto my feet and my path, his grace is there. It's ok that I can't see the pathway all the way to the horizon, as long as I have the light before me, I can be assured and reminded of who my God is and of his power over the darkness.
No comments:
Post a Comment