Wednesday, November 9, 2011

This Time Last Year

Four of my books on the New York Times bestseller list in the past three months...it's crazy. They represent a very large amount of my time in the past year. But the one that I'm especially excited about is the one that I found out about this afternoon, just thirty minutes before the end of the day.

It was this time last year when I was reading the proposal for An Invisible Thread and telling my boss that I really wanted to publish it. I was so touched by the story of a busy ad sales exec who passed by a young boy panhandling on the streets of New York, stopped in the middle of the street, and went back. Their heartbreaking and tragic childhoods, the poignant small moments that made up their twenty-five-year friendship that continues today, the redemption and beauty of divine appointments and what God can do when you say yes...there was just something special about it. And somehow I found myself making my first offer on a book just a day before my birthday, and it was mine!

It's been a year of a million little details...all without knowing if it would get lost in the myriad of titles that release all the time or if someone else would see the magic that I did in it. But it all seemed to come together, and the authors were so great to work with through the whole process. I'm so proud of this book, and finding that it debuted on the New York Times list is such an amazing feeling. More than anything, I hope that all the people this labor of love reaches are reminded to stop and take a moment when they feel that tug on their hearts, even if it's just one, small and hungry kid looking up, asking for change.

2 comments:

ruth said...

jessica - i am SO PROUD of you. not surprised though, i've always known that you were capable of this and so much more :) i still remember you telling me about this book when you first read the proposal. i know that there's probably a lot of grinding hard work in between just the beginning and the end that i've seen, but still i feel special to be a part of it. congratulations! and again, sooooo proud of you and knowing you :)

Jess-ca said...

Thanks, Ruth! :)