Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Lay Down Your Burden

Today was hard. I felt caught halfway between anger and tears all day, and I didn't exactly know how I felt. Today was a friend's last day at work.

I was so glad that Mitch was at life group tonight. She came over at the end and just held my hand for a little while and told me it would be ok. Then she held me and prayed and told me I had permission to mourn, because losing a friend at work is still a loss, especially someone who has been a confidante and safe place, someone who has been a mother figure to those of us who no longer have our mothers. Mitch didn't condemn anything or speak excessively, but she said exactly enough, exactly what I needed.

I got home and turned on some worship music to prepare my heart for processing things with the Lord. It was one love letter from Jesus after the other as the songs shuffled, and I remembered that he is my portion, my strong tower, my peace.


How deep the Father's love for us
How vast beyond all measure...


Lay down your burden
I will carry you, my child
I see those sleepless nights
And I count every tear you cry
I know some lessons hurt to learn...


When the oceans rise and thunders roar
I will soar with you above the storm
Father, you are king over the flood
I will be still and know you are God...

No comments: