Friday, May 1, 2009

Promises Fulfilled

For the past month or so, I've struggled on and off with feeling discouraged with the uncertainty of my circumstances. However, God kept reminding me to trust him, that his promises are true, that I need to wait if he asks me to wait. I kept thinking of our Old Testament readings about the Israelites, who had wandered in the wilderness for what must have seemed like a lifetime, and how God's inheritance for them did eventually come and how it all came showering down at the appointed time. It's been tough to wait, tough to say no to things that I felt God saying no to.

But God is definitely faithful. After a long search for a roommate with the end of my lease looming closer and closer, I felt unsure and a little afraid. But I moved last weekend, just before I needed to be out, and now I'm in a nice little townhome with opportunities to serve my new roommate. And I was so blessed during move day with my life group family coming out to help me do everything, above and beyond what I had expected.

Then Kyle recommended me for a job opportunity with Howard Books, a little Christian division of Simon and Schuster that is moving to Nashville. So Jonathan, the new president, called me up. We talked at Panera and really hit it off. I talked to HR the following Monday, and they offered me the job the next day. The amazing thing is the timing of it all. The project I had been working on at my temp job was coming to a close, and all my current freelance projects for Thomas Nelson were also coming to a close, which was perfect for the non-compete agreement. It's a really great opportunity, better than all the previous job possibilities that hadn't worked out, and Jonathan, being a missionary's kid, is totally ok with me taking off for my missions trip. And though I'll have to take it as time off not paid, that's taken care of because of the people who wanted to donate for my trip after I was fully funded already and decided to still write me checks for whatever I needed.

I am now living in a new place (which is going to be very close to the new office), and I start my new job on Monday. I can totally see the hand of God in all of it, the way he has plans that don't always seem clear to me and are outside of my own preferences for timing, the way he gives to us overly and abundantly beyond what we can imagine. I am amazed.

No comments: